Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Secret Garden Mother's Day Card

Hello!  I can't wait to share my latest card with you.  You often hear me say 'this is quick and easy', well, today's card is nowhere near easy.  I saw this technique on Pinterest and don't really know what it's called.  Basically, it starts with heat embossing your line image in white embossing powder on a crumb cake card stock, then you color the image with white pigment ink using aqua painter.  Wait for the pigment ink to dry or use a heat gun to dry the image completely before applying color with a blender pen.


I took it a step further on my card and masked the images to achieve the crisp layered look.  The colors I used were, from top to bottom, primrose petals, raspberry ripple, calypso coral and wisteria wonder.  The leaves were heat embossed with wild wasabi embossing powder.  The base card is very vanilla and the mat is cherry cobbler.  Very striking in real life!


 What made this particular card challenging is combining masking and heat embossing techniques.  Below is my crude attempt to illustrate the step by step process.  Create masks for all the flowers using post it notes.  Start by stamping the large flower in the center with Versamark.  Masked that first image.  Next, stamp the primrose and the wisteria flowers and cover with their respective masks.  Then, stamp the calypso flower and cover with mask as well.  Lastly, stamp another large flower at the bottom using Versamark.  Carefully take off all the masks and pour white embossing powder all over the flowers.  Set with a heat gun.  Then, mask all the flowers again and stamp the leaves with Versamark ink.  Be careful when heat embossing the leaves and make sure to move the heat gun around so you don't burn the flowers that were heat embossed earlier.  The last image on the collage below is your "starting point".  You can now color your flowers the way I mentioned on the first paragraph.

If you have any questions or need clarification, leave me a comment, I'll be more than happy to help you.

Now that's a labor of love!  I sure hope my Mom would like it!!

My next project will showcase some of the new Stampin'Up products that will be available for purchase on May 30th.  Stay tuned.....

Cheers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment